Get Your Fast LTL Freight Quote Now
WHAT IS LTL SHIPPING
LTL means less than truckload. It is the shipment of loads that do not take all the space of the truck. They are small loads weighing from 100 to 10,000 pounds. LTL shipment will only fill a portion of the truck of trailers. Since, your shipment does not fill the entire truck, the trucking company will wait for additional shippers to occupy all the space of their truck. Hence in a single transport truck, multiple shipments share the space of the truck.
HOW MUCH DOES LTL FREIGHT COST TO SHIP?
LTL fright are less expensive the Full Truckload, because the shipper share the cost for the transport of one truck. However, the actual cost of an LTL depends on several factors. These factors may include the following:
- Freight class: This is determined by stow ability, handling, liability, and density.
- Travel distance: The travel distance also affect the rate of the shipment. The rate is usually computed in miles. The large number of miles, the higher is the freight cost. If it is outside the carriers’ primary region, the rates also increased. If additional second carrier is needed, then the rate also increases.
- Fuel surcharge: The cost of shipment is also determined by other factors such as: gas prices changing, type of fuel, MPG, distance, and shipment cost which are collectively called fuel surcharged. If fuel surcharged is high cost of shipment is also high.
- Shipment specifications also affects pricing. Shipment specifications include the freight’s weight and dimensions.
BENEFITS OF CHOOSING LTL SHIPPING
LTL shipping will allow you to reduce the cost of your freight. LTL freight transport cost less because of the shipping processes LTL goes through. Since various shippers are served in just one truck, the cost is divided among the shippers based on the portion each shippers have occupied.
LTL shipping emit less carbon than any other shipment because LTL leads to reduce Amount of trucks on the road. Less truck means fewer emissions. This mode of shipment also improve security. Freight shippers always load their LTL freight onto sturdy pallets and into durable crates to protect them in anticipation of frequent handling. These then protect the shipment from wear, other freight, and loss of individual packages.
It also provides more services – many services provided by LTL are not readily available with alternative shipping methods. These services include lift gate, special handling, notifications, inside pick-up and delivery and more. LTL shipping allows efficient tracking– Many carriers will provide real-time tracking that include stop-offs, pick-ups, and delivery.
PREPARING LTL SHIPMENTS
LTL shipments are more prone to damage because they are handled and transferred more frequently and repeatedly. Preparing your LTL freights before shipment is therefore very necessary. If your shipment involve commercial goods, it should be consolidated into one large, palletized shipment. As much as possible, the number of individual package should be minimized. This reduces handling time and decreases the likelihood of damage. The following steps should be undertaken in preparing LTL shipments.
Properly load and secure goods onto pallets to protect the shipment during transportation.
- Stack goods with the heaviest items on the bottom and avoid any overhang.
- Use straps and shrink wrap so that goods properly stays together.
- Make sure that goods are aligned on the pallet. This is best practice. Staggering is acceptable but not as good as alignment
- Make sure that each pallet is labeled properly with complete address information, postal codes of the shipper and consignee, and phone numbers. This information should be visible.
- If goods involve a piece of machinery or an auto or boat part, fully crate the item to be shipped.
DECIDING TO USE LTL
If your business does not need an entire trailer to ship goods and freight that is less than 10,000 lbs., then LTL shipping is the best for you. Some of the questions that you make asks yourself when deciding on an LTL freight carrier are:
- Am I, or an agent, available to load and unload the shipment?
- Can I consolidate and palletize my shipment?
- Am I comfortable sharing trailer space with other freight shipments?
- Do I understand the timeline restrictions of LTL freight?
DO YOU NEED TO TRANSPORT YOUR LTL FREIGHT?
If you have shipment that is less than 10,000 lbs. and small enough not to require the space on an entire truck, then LTL is Freight services is just for you. Zhipping will find you the best carrier company. We can connect you to a carrier company with years of experience and capable of doing business even to customers with first time experience on LTL freight. Zhipping will find you the best transport service whether you have shipment once a month or needs to ship a few pallets a week. Zhipping will be able to connect you to a carrier or transport service that is best for your Freight.
TALK TO US TO GET YOUR QUICK LTL SHIPPING RATES.
You can use our shipping calculator to get an idea about the rates. You can contact us in our contact page.